Loaction: South East of Nairobi
Distance from Nairobi: 260km
This is arguably the largest and oldest national parks in kenya covering almost 4% of the country,s land mass.lying between Nairobi and Mombasa in the coast,Tsavo East traverses through untappted arena of arid and semi arid savanna vegetation which is adorned by the meandering of Galana river and patrolled by the largest herds of elephants ever seen in the world.
Major attractions in the park include:
- Aruba Dam.The beautiful Aruba dam located in the bank of seasonal voi river is visited by numerous wildlife in serch of water.
- Elephant Eden.The marvelous sight of elephants wallowing,rolling, dusting and spraying each other with water from galana river is one of most breathtaking sights in Africa
- Mudanda rocks.Whale back rock type towers above a natural dam acting as a draw to many elephants.
- Yatta plateau.The longest lava flow in the country,300kms in length, the heat shimmering Yatta plateau is the longest lave flow in the world and an ornithological paradise attracting migrating birds from the world over.
- Lugards Falls.Named after Captain Lugard,the first proconsul to east Africa,the fall features bizarrely eroded rocks through which the waters from the galana river drops down forming streams and rivers infested with crocodiles